Sell your digital products online with Ecwid
Ebooks. Music. Video content. Digital art. If you create digital products, you should check out Ecwid. Create an online store in minutes to sell your digital products from
Other people seem to like us
need—all in one place
Manage your store, add new sales channels, launch your first ad campaign, and more from your Ecwid dashboard. We’ll give you everything you need to sell online, so you can focus on the important
No credit card required.
Add new sales channels
See how easy it is to add new digital products and sell
Control your advertising
Manage your store
We take the scary out of selling your digital products with centralized inventory, simple order management, and synchronized pricing. It doesn’t get any simpler than this.
Sell everywhere with Ecwid
Your free online store is just a few clicks away
Set up your Ecwid store once to easily sync and sell across a website, social media, marketplaces like Amazon, and live
The easiest way to sell digital goods.
Welcome to the future of selling — digital downloads. Easily create your digital goods storefront, accept payments, digital delivery, manage customers and more. All from a single dashboard. See why Ecwid powers over 1,000,000 merchants in 175 countries.
The time for digital selling is now!
Start selling digital products today
You don’t need a team to start.
No production spendings and returns.
From launch to customer service.
Create it once and sell forever.
What do you want to sell? Software, ebooks, online courses, images, videos, templates, designs, filters, business docs, blueprints, research, or something else? All possible with digital products.
You’re a selling machine
Once designed, your digital product can be sold indefinitely. You also don’t have to deal with production, shipping, returns, packaging — all that messy offline stuff. Everything happens digitally. This means that your selling can be fully automated: from driving traffic to your store with Smart Shopping, to working with Support queries by implementing chatbot technology. This way, you can concentrate on customer experience, growth, or creating more products to increase your turnover.
Easy to create
Refine your skills, look around and find the right tools — that’s all you need to create a digital product and start selling!
It’s all yours
There are a ton of existing marketplaces to sell your digital products on. But generally, they take a commission. This type of
Ready to start selling digital products?
Selling digital products online: everything you need to know
What is a digital product?
A digital product (or
4 Reasons to sell digital goods
- No inventory, shipping, or return hassles. This will save you an abundance of time and money on warehouses, couriers, labels, etc.
- Full business automation. It’s even easier than dropshipping — the platform does it all for you: just upload the file and you’re done. Say hello to passive income!
- Low investment, high return. You are creating one product and selling unlimited copies, all without spending a dollar on production.
- Highly scalable. Add a second downloadable song and double your sales. Translate a book into a new language, and open a whole new market of readers.
What works as a digital product?
I bet at this point you’re asking yourself: What’s the most profitable digital product to sell? So we’ve made the following list to key you in to the digital goods that are in the highest demand right now.
- Software. Business and government spending on information technology (IT) software from reached almost $750 billion in 2019 (Statista) Shot
- Courses. Online education market reached $188 billion in 2019, and is projected to exceed $319 billion by 2025 (Research and Markets).
- Ebooks. Revenue in the ebooks segment is projected to reach $16,7 billion in 2020 and $20 billion by 2025 (Statista).
- Videos. Revenue in the Video Downloads (EST) segment is projected to reach $4,7 billion in 2020 and $5,1 billion by 2025 (Statista).
- Audio. Revenue in the Music Downloads segment is projected to reach $2 billion in 2020 and $10 billion by 2025 (Statista).
- Images. The global stock images and videos market size are expected to generate revenues of over $4 billion by 2023 (PRNewswire).
What kind of digital product should I sell?
Sell software online
This option requires some technical skills. If you’re a developer, this path is a surefire bet. But even if you have technical chops, choosing the right product to sell might still prove difficult, if only because there are so many options out there. So, it’s important to make it as easy as possible to narrow things down. Develop a program that will act as a solution to making something work faster, better, or will solve a common problem. You’ll see — there are thousands of people out there struggling with the same problem. Now those people are your first potential customers! For example: code and create an image resizer, image/video converter/optimizer, automation script, parcer, checker. You know those options better than us, right? If you don’t or software creation isn’t your jam, skip ahead for more ideas.
Steps towards marketing your software.
- Make sure it’s worth buying. Why will people pay money for it?
- Define your audience. Who are your future customers, where do they live, what do they do, etc.?
- Choose your hosting platform. What type of hosting will work best for your needs: shared, VPS, dedicated, cloud?
- Test on humans before release. Do you know how customers will use your software, or do you just think you know?
- Make a plan. First, what are you going to do with marketing? What are your goals?
- Choose the channels you can maintain. Do you have time to maintain your website, social media channels, as well as extra channels?
- Focus on reviews. Do you have influencers in your niche? How can they help you sell?
- Set a competitive price. How much do your competitors sell their software products? Realistically, how much do you think your products are worth?
- Consider free trials. Can you give your potential buyers a chance to try your software and get excited about it?
- Create an online presence. Do you have a website or an online store and social media profile for customers to find your product?
- Optimize your website. Are you ranking high enough on search engines, for enough keywords related to your product/niche/location? Is your content
- Start a blog. Blogs are great tools to both inform your potential customers and market your brand at the same time. Try sharing a roadmap to sales or a success story. Or finding new ways to talk about the world in which your digital product lives.
- Promise refunds. Think about if you want your customers to be able to return your products if they aren’t pleased with them. How can you make them feel safe enough to take a chance on your digital goods?
Sell courses online
Online classes are booming as the world stays locked down: millions of people are stuck at home, trying to stay active, learn a new skill, or simply looking for a way to keep their kids entertained. Think of things that you really excel at, even basic,
Some profitable niches for online courses
- Coding and building websites
- Coding and building websites
- Business education and entrepreneurship
- Digital marketing
- Creative skills (art, photography, fashion)
- Wellness and meditation
- Fitness and sports
Self-defenceand martial arts
- Foreign languages
Sell ebooks online
Have you penned a hit romance novel, or compiled an
10 Stages of Creating an ebookStage 1
Sell stock images and videos online
Selling photographs, video footages, 3D arts, posters, design patterns is probably the easiest way to enter
Best places to sell stock images and videos
- Getty Images
- Adobe Stock
Photos categories that sell best
- Lifestyle. Anything you would do when you’re not working.
- Nature. Go outside and snap some pics of the one tree that’s not yet on stock.
- Mental state. Images that illustrate emotions (positive or negative).
- Business. Anything happening in the office place, even if people are wearing pajamas.
- Travel. Just go on a trip and get some pics of everything around (including yourself).
- Trends and news. Is something big happening? Take a cam and be a part of it.
- Health/wellness/sport. Find healthy or sporty people — make them show how they got there.
- Holidays. Presents, people shopping, decorations — anything that represents an upcoming holiday celebration.
How to choose the best downloadable product to sell
With so many options it’s easy to get lost. Think back to your skill sets, look around, and cross out things that won’t work for you. Or, answer these handy questions below:
Can you write code?
- Yes. Can you make a complete tool that someone other than you can use?
- No. Can you hire a developer to create a software product for you?
Do you have a camera?
- Yes. Do you have photography and editing experience?
- No. Do you want to spend $1,000 on a good camera and the time to learn?
Can you write a story that is interesting to read?
- Yes. Are you ready to spend several months (or years) writing while your friends go out and play, and then deal with the criticism of strangers?
- No. Can you write short stories or nonfiction?
Are you a true pro at something?
- Yes. Can a regular person repeat what you’ve mastered?
- No. Don’t sell yourself short! Go back to the drawing board and think of your best skills.
How can I create a digital product?
Now that you know all about the best selling digital product niches, have some guiding examples, and an understanding of how to choose the right digital product for you, the time has come for action. Depending on the product type you choose, the workflow will differ somewhat, but the steps of creating your own digital product repeat across most selling categories.
Step 3 — start production. Work on it every day like it’s your job — keep moving forward until you have the product in hand, ready to go.
Step 5 — create content. Descriptions, manuals, covers, icons — more is more.
Step 6 — set the price. Based on how much you spent on the product (factor in time!) and your desired revenue.
Step 7 — do a soft release. Show your final product to a small audience of the general public, and get feedback.
Step 8 — make adjustments. Hold back your emotions and work with criticism. Improve your products based on this feedback.
Step 10 — plan further. Plan upgrade releases, promotions, meetings with your audience to get a grip on their needs and wants.
How do I start selling digital products online?
Selling is the next life cycle of the digital product existence, after it’s released. There are two ways to do that: on your own (in this case, you get all the money), or by delegating the selling to some platform and sharing revenue (through paid commissions).
Option 1: gimme all the money!
Platforms to sell digital products on (without a website)
If building up your own online store to sell digital products isn’t feasible in the short term, there are places (we call them marketplaces), to find buyers. Unfortunately, these platforms take commissions for their service. But hey, for the business business person the the go, sometimes marketplaces are just the right option.
Top platforms to list and sell digital or downloadable products without a website
- Amazon. Large audience, hard competition.
- Ebay. Easy to manage, weak toolset for selling software.
- Etsy. Pretty new with digital downloads, but user friendly.
- GetApp. The largest directory, but it doesn’t have a checkout.
- Product Hunt. Go super viral or fall into oblivion — it’s a bit of a lottery.
Can I sell digital products on Facebook?
Can I sell digital products on Instagram?
What is the best site to sell music on?
The best site to sell your music is your own online store. But if you don't have one, consider the following.
Music download sites
- Google Play
- Streaming platforms
- Apple Music
- Amazon Music
- Epidemic Sound
What is the best place to sell ebooks?
If you’re planning to make a living selling ebooks online, you’ll probably want to list your books everywhere you can. We’ve listed several popular options. And don’t forget, you can also sell ebooks on your own online store or website.
- Direct Publishing
- Apple Books
- Google Books
Start selling digital products with Ecwid
Sell simultaneously in person and on websites, mobile phones, social sites and marketplaces.
Ecwid store looks perfect on any device — phones, laptops, tablets, smart TVs or smart watches.
Add an online store to Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr or any other social media site.
Sell globally with
How to start selling digital products with Ecwid
You don’t have to deal with packaging and shipping to be a successful
Here is a quick step by step:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Catalog → Products.
- Click a product to edit or create a new one.
- In the General tab untick Requires shipping or pickup:
- Then open the Files tab.
- Click +Upload Files.
- In the popup click Choose file:
- Select the file on your computer.
- Click + to add more files.
- Click Upload Files.
- Enter the file description.
- Click Save.